Monday, October 11, 2010

30 Days of Truth--Day 11

Day 11:  Something people seem to compliment you the most on.

Well, people often compliment me on my voice or my height. I am tall for a woman, so I guess when people only see me without hearing me sing, they compliment me on that. However, when people hear me sing, that is usually the only thing they notice about me.

A funny story--I was visiting my grandma for her birthday this last week, and she asked me to bring my uke so that I could sing her a song. We got to my uncle's house (who was throwing the party) and started eating. A half hour into the evening, the local missionaries came over with two guys they were going on splits (or partnering up with) on. No one really paid any attention to me other than my Uncle, who just got home from Iraq and my grandma.

Later that evening, my grandma asked me to sing for her. I sang one of her favorite songs, Ke Aloha. One of the guys that was with the missionaries stopped everything he was doing and as my grandma put it, "sat in rapture" the entire time I sang. Afterwards, he was staring at me and was sort of "all up in my grill." He then told me (extremely loudly), "that was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard!"

lol. I laugh only because he was super obsessed with me the rest of the night, and asked my Grandma if he could buy my CD (which she mentioned that she had... troublemaker!) AND that I inspired him to buy a ukulele and start singing.

I know better than most that I can be weird about this kind of thing, but he CREEPED me out. Big time. I understand that I have a nice voice, but please be discreet with your compliments. lol. Also--I tend to not like to sing in front of people because it alters their perception of me. If you like me, I hope that it is because of who I am... not because of what I sound like! ;)

---

Well, it's great to be back in St. George...mostly because I have finally started unpacking. :) It was cool--last night, me and my roomie Amy just talked and stuff while we moved my bed and furniture into my room and stuff. I love our new place and our landlord. :) She and her family are AMAZING, so I'm stoked to be there.

I don't really have much to say, other than I am SUPER excited for this week. :) It's going to be AWESOME!

The song for today is pretty awesome. I post it in homage of a voice that I wish I could emulate...although I don't really know if I want to change my voice. I like it. ;) lol. Anyway...Stevie Nicks is AMAZING. I love her voice...it's so raspy and amazing.


Landslide (Acoustic Version)<--which is really the only version I like...
by: Fleetwood Mac

Took this love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
And can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Oh oh I don't know, ooh I don't know

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older I'm getting older too
Yes I'm getting older too, oh...

I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too
Yes, I'm getting older too

So, take this love, take it down
Oh, if you climb a mountain and you turn around
If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring you down, down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well maybe--the landslide will bring you down
Well, well, the landslide will bring it down.

No comments: