Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I know what I know...

Hello All!!!

So, If you don't know me very well, let me tell you a little tidbit about me as a friend. I am the friend that "gently" reminds you that you are being dumb when you are making a bad decision. I am the friend that will drop everything to come and help you. Whenever. I am also the friend that can be loud and obnoxious. However, I can be the friend that you confide in. Like my friend Chris said last night, "she's a vault." I really am. I know a lot about my friends, and I'm glad that they trust me enough to tell me those things.

I wasn't always like this. I like to think that I have evolved over time into this person. I am still evolving...hopefully.

I don't say this to be prideful or arrogant. I say this because I feel like sometimes people need to know who we are. They need to know how we can help them. I love this quote from one of my favorite movies, Elizabethtown:

"I don't know a lot about everything, but I do know a lot about the part of everything that I know--which is people."

I know people. My people. I think it's because I pay attention. It's not rocket science.

However, there are times when people tend to surprise me. For instance:

I have a friend of mine that was dating a huge jerk.

They broke up for a while, but they got back together and got engaged.

Well, surprise, surprise...he totally called off the engagement (with the wedding three weeks away) and left town.

I thought that I knew him better than this. I really thought that he would have stuck through, but alas he didn't.

I guess I'm surprised because although he was a jerk and super mean to her, I was hoping to see the positive potential that I saw in him. I guess people just don't see the potential in themselves...or want to achieve it.

IDK. It makes me look back at my life and remember the different relationships that I have been in. Some were really bad. A lot of them were good. :)

I feel bad for my friend, but I know that she'll bounce back from it.

We all do.

Reminiscing
by: Little River Band

Friday night, it was late
I was walking you home
We got down to the gate
And I was dreaming of the night
Would it turn out right
How to tell you girl
I wanna build my world around you
Tell you that it's true
I wanna make you understand
I'm talkin' about a lifetime plan

That's the way it began, we were hand in hand
Glenn Miller's Band was better than before
We yelled and screamed for more
And the Porter tunes "Night and Day"
Made us dance across the room
It ended all too soon
And on the way back home
I promised you'd never be alone

Hurry, don't be late
I can hardly wait
I said to myself when we're old
We'll go dancing in the dark
Walking through the park and reminiscing

[Instrumental Interlude]

Friday night, it was late
I was walking you home
We got down to the gate
And I was dreaming of the night
Would it turn out right
Now as the years roll on
Each time we hear our favorite song
The memories come along
Older times we're missing
Spending the hours reminiscing

Hurry, don't be late, I can hardly wait
I said to myself when we're old
We'll go dancing in the dark
Walking through the park and reminiscing

3 comments:

Leonani said...

Haha! I thought of "Hitch" when he says something like, "I'm a vault, baby. Lock down." I know that was wrong but close enough. :) But I love that about you. Even though I tell you not to tell anyone, I know that I don't need to tell you. It just makes me feel better if I say it out loud, I guess. Thanks for keeping my secrets! :) And for being so awesome!!

Tracy Hendricks Owens said...

I've always liked this quality of yours Karyn. I miss you Beautiful!

leinani45 said...

TRACY!!! Hey Honey!!! How are you??? How are you liking Logan???