Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Perspective

Life is...

I can't really say that it's good of bad right now. There are awesome things going on and there are super crappy things going on as well. This year for me is going to be a year of self mastery. Already I feel like a failure...but something I was told recently is helping me to feel like not too much of a failure. I still feel like one...but it helps me to remember that I need to keep going and to keep moving forward. Here it is:

Even though you may fail, you can't let that failure define you. You can pick yourself up and realize that you are better than your failures.

I know that is true. It's hard for me to be...disciplined and dedicated. I have always run from things I deemed to be 'too hard' or 'too complicated.' Sometimes I feel like all of my struggles would be alleviated if I just stuck around long enough to fix them.

I am better than this moment. I am better than my short-comings. All I need is a little perspective.

Let me tell you a story.

I have danced hula for...a long time. Lately I've fallen off...as I've been in more demand as a musician than a dancer...but that's beside the point.

So, I was dancing hula, and I felt like the ugliest and least coordinated dancer in the entire group. I mean...hula is a Hawaiian dance...but I just wasn't as graceful and coordinated as the other dancers. So, I started practicing...a lot. I am a stickler for practice, and I was dancing almost everyday for at least two hours outside of regular classes.

We had a "test" or more like our teacher wanted to see how well we would dance alone. I went out there, did the dang thing and danced my heart out. I got all kinds of positive remarks, but the one that meant the most to me was one from our alaka'i or head dancer. She commented that she could tell I was working hard. Even over the teacher or kumu, her praise meant the world to me. She was the epitome of what I was hoping to be, and she thought I was good enough.

Some people may not see the purpose of this story, but for me...this story is a reassurance that I can do anything I want to. I can accomplish anything. What seemed like something that I was inept at or unable to accomplish...I did it. Of course this is only one story of many where I have been able to rise above expectations and shine...but still.

If life is truly what we make of it...I can make it a success story for myself. I won't be trodden on or made to feel inferior to who I truly am. I can achieve my dreams and live the life I am destined to live...and so can you.

Rise up to the challenge. Make 2011 a truly unforgettable year. You can do it. We'll shoot for the stars together. :)

Dream On
by: Aerosmith

Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is in books' written pages
Lived and learned from fools and
From sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away, yeah

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream until the dream comes true
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream until your dream comes true
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On
Dream On

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away...

2 comments:

Leonani said...

Love it!!!! Dude, seriously. Get out of my head! :) I've been having doubts and thinking about the things that are "considered" successes. Anything I dedicate myself to and do it all-out are my successes. No matter what anyone else thinks. Thanks co-prez!! :)

leinani45 said...

lol. No worries. You can just be the president. The small successes are the building blocks to fulfilling your dreams!