Friday, April 2, 2010

Duets

NOT my family... but a great picture. :)



Some of you may know this--I sing. It's something of a passion for me. My dad taught us all how to sing, and I intend to pass the lessons right on long to my kids.


Being in a musical family has it's challenges--someone always has to be the 'lead' singer, and that causes hurt feeling sometimes. However, I think that having the experience of growing up around music and always having someone singing SOMETHING in the home made me a better person. It's made me a "people" person as well. Singing shares with a very special part of you with an audience. I know that when I sing, I can show the most beautiful parts of myself to the people around me. Is it any wonder that we have shows like "American Idol" around? Singing lifts us up where we belong... all we need is love. Oh, I mean singing. lol. (what movie??? the love part...anyway.)


When I was in Hawaii I sang a lot more than I do here. I think it's because I like to sing with my dad, and he's in Hawaii. Singing with my dad feels like how I imagine trying to play basketball with Michael Jordan would feel. You know that he is AMAZINGLY and INCREDIBLY talented, but he just wants to play the game--just like you. :)

The most interesting thing to me is how my little brother has developed over the years. He used to hate singing. He never really felt like he was included when we practiced. But now, he is so AWESOME! The wonders of what young people learn on missions never ceases to amaze me. He is so talented. All my brothers are. Adam, I think, could sing us all under the table if he wanted to, and Josh is good at EVERYTHING.

It's so awesome to think that it all came from my mom and dad, sitting with us and teaching us to sing scales. We would sing "I wish I were a fish" and hymnals ALL the time. I would get so sick of it, but we sounded good in the end. I think that's where I got my mania for practice. Practice makes better! ;)

Anyway--duets.Aside from being an AMAZING movie (if you haven't watched it before--it is well worth the time and money to purchase or rent a copy and watch. I HIGHLY recommend it) I love me a good duet. I was reading my friend Latu's blog, and she mentioned her time in Hawaii. I got to sing a beautiful duet with her called "Another's Burden." I love singing duets. It gives you the chance to harmonize with and complement two voices. Good times. :)

Of course, I do like me a good accapella group as well--but I was watching an exerpt of the movie "Duets" and I found two of my favorite clips. If you know anything about the movie, you'll know that it is about competitive karaoke singing. The first link is not a duet but it is a GREAT example of sharing a piece of yourself with an audience. The second one is a duet. AMAZING! :)



The first song--an accapella version of Lynard Skynard's "Free Bird" is so beautiful. It's sort of a sad part of the movie, but I love it. The second version is also today's song lyrics. :)

WATCH THEM!!!

It's awesome, and well worth the time. And now for lyrics. :)

Try A Little Tenderness
As performed by: Paul Giamatti & Andre Braugher (Vocals: Arnold McCuller)

(Verse 1)
Ohhh she may be weary
Young girls, they do get weary
Wearing that same old shaggy dress
[Yeaaaaahhh]
But when she gets weary
[She gets weary]
Try a little tenderness
[Tenderness, Yeaaaaah]

(Verse 2)
You know she's waiting
Just anticipating
The things that she'll never [never ever]
Never ever possess
While she's there waiting
[Ooohhh she's waiting]
Try a little tenderness
That's all you gotta do

(Verse 3)
It's not, just setimental, no (x3)
[No, No, No]
She has her grief & cares
[Yeaaaaahhh]
But the soft word, [soft words]
They are spoke so gentle
Makes it easier, [easier]
Easier to bear

(Verse 4)
Ohhhh now, you wont regret it [nooo, noooo]
Young girls, they don't forget it
Love is their only happiness
[Yeaaaah, Yeaaaah, Yeaaaah]
But it's all so easy [Ohh so easy]
All you got to do is
Try a little tenderness
[Try a little tenderness]

[Chorus]
You got to squeeze her
Don't tease her
Never leave her
Got to (x6)
Try a little tenderness
Hey! Hey! (x4)
Yeah! Yeah (x4)
Hey! Hey!
It's all you gotta do now

[Repeat Verse 4]

4 comments:

Latu said...

Karyn!! I loved singing with you! I was actually thinking about that the last few days, Another's Burden has been stuck in my head! Glad to hear Sean's singing more!

leinani45 said...

GIRRL! We need to get together and sing again!!! :) When you guys thaw out up there, I'm totally visiting you!

Leonani said...

dude! you need to teach me! i wanna be awesome too! :)

leinani45 said...

Let's do it!