Saturday, April 10, 2010

Time to Breathe

WOO HOO!!!


So, I just finished a HUGE event at work, and I FINALLY have time to breathe...even if it's only for a couple of days. :) Work has been HORRENDOUSLY hectic, and I feel like I've been doing the job of 3 people. Sorry to all of you that have felt neglected lately. I literally did not have time or energy to do anything but school and work. :S Well, I could have made the time. Who am I kidding. There are 24 hours in a day, and I was working about 10... and then 4-6 for homework (finals)... so next time, I'll just hang out with people at 1:00 in the morning. ;)

Okay. So, blog. I need to do this really quickly before getting back to homework. Yes. I said homework. I have back to back 9 week classes, so although last week I had finals, this week I am starting all new classes. No rest for the wicked... or at least that's what they say.

No really. I'm ready to blog. The topic of today's post is NUTRITION. :)

I LOVE FOOD!

No, really. I can testify to all of you that I love food. Today I had a tri-tip beef sandwich that was AMAZING!

I wanted to take a bath in a tub of that meat... so succulent and it just melted in your mouth... *drool*

So, yeah. It's not a secret that I love food. BUT, today is not about food. It's about nutrition.

What is the difference, you ask? Well, food is fuel for our bodies. You know...Like gassing up your car. You can use a low grade gas, and still run your car, but you get better performance and better mileage if you use a quality grade gasoline.

The GRADE. It's the quality of food that we put in our bodies that makes ALL the difference. Highly processed foods, for instance, are actually pretty bad for you. Most fast food places just pump your food with all kinds of fats and oils... and some people love it. I am no exception. I'm not going to sit here and lie to all of you--telling you that I don't eat an occasional hamburger, because I do. What I want to talk to all of you about is increasing the quality of your food to increase the quality of your life!!!

I know someone (who will remain nameless) that will only eat 3 things. Noodles (plain), white bread, and chicken breast--pan seared or baked. First of all... HOW BORING! This person is MISSING OUT ON LIFE! Food should be enjoyable, not bland! Second... and more importantly--how unhealthy! I know that we are a country of obesity and gluttony, but malnutrition is also a HUGE problem in the states! We allow our children to be picky and to eat only the things they want to eat. I'm sorry, but if I was only allowed t eat what I wanted to eat when I was small--I would only have eaten cookies and potato chips. That is no way to live!!!

When we were growing up, we had a rule--you had to eat at leat ONE BITE of everything that was on the plate. NO MATTER WHAT. My parents would sit there and wait with us to make sure that we followed the rules. If we tried to cheat (i.e.: the following story) we would pay.

An example of "paying"...

I was probably 5 or 6, and my mom had made some sort of meal, and the vegetable was peas. I HATED peas, and didn't want to eat ANY. So, I thought I would be smart and take the peas I had (probably 2 tablespoons worth) and hide them in my brother's milk. BIG MISTAKE. Apparently you can't hide green peas in a glass of white milk :S Anywho, of course my mom saw and made me not only DRINK the milk, but EAT all of the peas as well.

This may sound harsh to some of you coddling mothers that give your children everything they could ever want, but as I look back, I am grateful for it. Beside the fact that we were poorer than church mice--and therefore couldn't afford to waste food, it taught me that I am able to surprise myself with what tastes good to me. I like all kinds of food, and I am always willing to try something new.

That's what I believe nutrition is all about. The good Lord didn't provide us with all this yummy goodness just to restrict ourselves to one type of food. Healthy, natural variety is what we should ALL be shooting for. Never cooked with jicama? There are SO many awesome recipes online that are DELICIOUS! Want to experiment with herbs? Fresh basil is a great compliment to a green salad, or dill is GREAT on a grilled turkey breast.

We have so many options now days, and we are rarely affected by seasons anymore. You can find basically ANYTHING all year.

So, here is my challenge. Go and EXPLORE. Create one meal using something you have never cooked with before. I PROMISE it will be worth it! :)

Okay. Now for the song of the day. This is a recent favorite... :) I just like the whole feel to the song. :)

Set You Free
by: The Black Keys

You hold on to love that's gone
Run a mile to see him smile
But you don't know he's door to door
Playin' you for the fool

(CHORUS:)
Let him go, walk out the door
And come to me, I'm gonna set you free

Now you know, there you go
Back to him, he's gonna do you in
Tear you down and run you 'round
Treat you wrong and then he's gone

(CHORUS)

You hold on to love that's gone
Run a mile to see him smile
But you don't know he's door to door
Playin' you for the fool

(CHORUS)

I'll set you free (x4)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

amen about the whole nutrition thing! I love food too!!

Leonani said...

its interesting how many times i have heard the mily peas story this week. i love it! i dont think that story will ever get old. it makes me want to try them... almost, but not quite! :) also, ive never heard that song. i like the lyris. sounds like someone i know. :)

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

aloha, karyn! I really enjoy reading your blog. I couldn't agree with you more on the whole food (trying new things) /nutrition thing. You are so insightful and funny! I try to be strict with my kids during meals but they still eat a lot of junk unfortunately. I love that peas and milk story!

leinani45 said...

Hey Jackie!!!
Thank you so much! I am also a frequent reader of your blog... although I fail to comment a lot of the time. :S Hope you guys are doing well!!! Take care!